Well, Saturday I had my premiere performance in the world of opera! I was chosen to play "the cousin" in a concert version of Madame Butterfly with the NWFSC Symphony. It is a very small part that lasts about 3 minutes, with me singing here and there. Since it was so small, I only had 1 shot at getting it right! I was pretty nervous the first couple of rehearsals we had because I was surrounded by a bunch of incredible singers who do operas professionally....but I could only learn a lot from them. It turned out really well, and I think this opera is beautiful. The leading role of Butterfly, Maria Ferrante, was absolutely amazing to listen to and the amazing thing was that she was no bigger than I am! I guess all opera singers do not have to be large in size!
So, I am glad I did it and I'm glad my kids got to see me up there on the stage. Do I have the performing bug now? Well, it's an interesting thing....I discovered that most people in theater have potty mouths and no morals whatsoever. I shared a dressing room with 2 gals that couldn't seem to speak a word without the next one being a swear word! It was really not an environment I wanted to be in for very long. I think that is just the way the entertainment world goes..........so if I wanted to do that, I would have to sacrifice something. It seems like you would have to make a choice between your moral/religious beliefs and your God given talent. It is hard to know what to do with my singing........I absolutely love to sing and I want to keep improving and getting better.........but then what? Where do I sing? It seems like singing in church is the only avenue to really take and that is fine....but it seems like there is a lot more I could be doing and should be doing with my voice. I don't want to be up on stage singing just for the glory of people saying "wow, what a great voice she has" but more the reason that I know I can sing well and I want to do something useful with this talent I have been given. Anyhow.......it was a great experience and I do love to sing.
I was sad that I didn't get to wear a kimono...I did my best to look Japanese.....but since it was a concert version, we weren't really made up to look like the characters. And I definitely was the most modestly dressed performer amongst the women!
This is the bio I had put in the program.........it was quite a bit different than all the other performers who were listing every work they've performed and who they've studied with. But that's me..........
There was great confusion on whether I was really the cousin or the aunt (as is listed in the program). The first rehearsal we discovered that another girl and I had both learned the cousin part. The conductor told me that I was the cousin, as had my voice teacher, but he never got it right after that. I was always referred to as the aunt. But I did sing the role of cousin and the other gal did the other part........I was glad I wasn't having to do any last minute cramming!


3 comments:
Thats our girl. We are so proud of you - the things you can do and the choices you make to do them. Don't worry about finding a place to sing and use your talent. Remember "Heaven" is full of singing angels!! Happy we will eventually all be there for eternity and can hear you fill the heavens with music as you did our earthly home when we were privileged to be your parents. We love you. MOM and DAD
I'm so impressed - that's so great that you were able to do that and so important for your kids to see. I love your bio, too! I'm learning that Heavenly Father does so much of his work through people and the talents He has given them ... He will help you figure it out. :)
Good grief, but you look gorgeous in the photo. I am so excited for you. You're all about growing and honing your mad skills (whether it's music, soccer, parenting...). I would love to have seen you perform. Sigh. Maybe we'll be neighbors again someday, right?
Post a Comment