Sunday, September 4, 2016

Hello Roxy......and hello 5 pups!

We finally decided to get another dog, so I sent Keyan and a couple kids down to the Humane Society to see what they could find.  They came home with Roxy, a cute little beagle.  Well, after about 2 weeks with her, we noticed that she was getting a bit large in the nipple area.  She had not been spayed at the Humane Society because she had just come in the day before Keyan adopted her, so we were supposed to take her back within the month to get that done.  Well, she was definitely looking like she was pregnant, but we took her into the Humane Society, not sure what they would do.  They called and said she definitely was pregnant....maybe 6 to 8 pups in there.  So we had to decided whether we would become the foster family for these pups or if we would send Roxy away for the next 3 months while she had the pups and they got to be big enough to adopt out.   As you can see from the pictures, we decided to take on this situation.  
We had no idea when she was going to give birth, and Keyan and I had a trip to Jamaica planned, and then I was off to Girl's Camp.  The timing all worked out, though, and Roxy had the pups in the few days in between events.  It was an amazing process.....I had to stay up all night with her just to make sure the pups all came out o.k.  I really didn't have to do anything.....Roxy's instincts kicked in and she took care of everything. 



She gave birth to 5 pups.....2 females and 3 males.




The kids quickly named them all.....bad idea because then they get attached to them more.  Oh well.....

Hank and Bear

Calvin and Julia

Abby



After about 2 weeks, these puppies were very mobile and the laundry room would not suffice.  They would pee and poop all over the place, so I was constantly rearranging their living quarters to try and make it easier to clean up and to help them learn where to exactly go to the bathroom.  After about 4 weeks, the best idea was to keep them outside all day!








By the time these pups turned 8 weeks, it was time for them to go.  The little fenced area we had outside for them was no longer containing them.....they learned to climb out.  It was such a hassle and a challenge trying to keep them in and keep up with them.  It is impossible to herd them all where you want to go!  

Calvin

Julia

Bear

Abby


There is one dog missing from the above lineup.....and that is Hank.  We decided to keep one of the puppies........so now we have really added 2 new dogs to our family, Roxy included.  I'm not sure what we were thinking.  It is a lot to have 3 dogs in your house.  I keep telling Keyan, I need a fenced yard.  I hope that happens soon (although it's been a couple of months now, and no fence)!

No comments: