Saturday, December 12, 2009
Stille Nacht
Last night I went with Mara and Ben to the local symphony's holiday concert. They played this version of Stille Nacht that you are now hearing on the blog, but used a cello for the solo at the beginning, and I cannot tell you how beautiful it was. There is just nothing more beautiful......... I briefly thought about how the song "Silent Night" brings such a peaceful, silent, reverent feeling to thoughts of the Savior's birth. I wondered if that night really was peaceful and silent like so many songs portray it to be. At one point in this version of the song, there are some odd harmonies that ruin that peaceful feeling, and I thought, that was probably more what life felt like back then, and actually what life probably feels like a lot today. But then those harmonies resolve and become peaceful again. That's the whole reason the Savior came to earth, to resolve those hard things that we have in our lives. That's what brings the peace, the reverence, and that beautiful sound and feeling that always comes with "Silent Night." Thanks to Franz Gruber.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment