So, I have learned that Elyse can really cry loud.........before she used to just get her pacifier to console herself and all was quiet........ahhhhhh........but now without that pacifier she is sooooooooo loud! She has had lots of moments of crying in her room, and the thing about Elyse that seems a little bit different than the other kids is that she doesn't stop! She will just keep crying and crying and 30 minutes later she is still crying! Luckily, I have learned that letting her cry won't ruin her. It just really increases the volume in our house and it does wear on my nerves after awhile!
The second thing I have learned is that it's hard to be that "mean" mom sometimes. Mara had all weekend to do her homework, and she was reminded yesterday early on to get it all done. She did her math, but this morning at 7:00 a.m. (she catches the bus at 7:20) she realized she had 2 big things for science that she hadn't done. And science is her first period class. So, she begged and pleaded for me to let her be late to school so she could get it done. And I was the mean mom who said "No, you had all weekend to get this done, you have to check your planner. Just turn it in late and get half the grade." Luckily Keyan was still here for reinforcements and he agreed with me, telling Mara "some things are hard because they are of our own creation." The hope is that she can learn these lessons now when it doesn't really matter.........and Keyan pointed out at least she was visibly upset about not getting it done instead of having a nonchalant I-don't-care attitude!
Anyhow, these little daily dramas can be hard. I always wonder if I'm doing the right thing. It's hard to let your kids crash, but I think it's something they need to experience once in awhile (or so I've been told).......
2 comments:
You're doing a great job! It's definitely not easy!
Imagine being the mom without a dad to back you up or help clarify your perspective (something Brandon does a lot for me when I'm too cranky or stubborn or unreasonable). Tough lessons for Mara, but good ones nonetheless. And I think we should get Holden (who managed to gnash his teeth for a solid 40 minutes upon leaving Toys R Us) with Elyse and see what happens. =)
Post a Comment