Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Atlantis!

We just got back from going down to Cape Canaveral to watch the space shuttle Atlantis take off. What an exciting event! It's kind of like gambling because you invest the time and money to go down for the take off and you aren't 100% sure that the shuttle is going to take off. There could be a delay for a hundred different reasons.

On Monday morning, it was pretty cloudy, and so there was that little voice inside us saying Atlantis wasn't going to launch. And once you get on the bus to go down to the causeway, you have used your ticket, regardless of whether there is a launch or not. So, we took that leap of faith, got on the bus, and waited.......... and we were not disappointed! It started to clear up nicely about 30 minutes before the launch. I can't tell you (unless you've been there yourself) the excitement of waiting and then hearing that final countdown, 10...9...8....7...6...5...4...3...2...1. and then to watch that big cloud form at the base of the launch pad and you just wait hoping to see the shuttle emerge from it. And when it does, it is fantastic..........and then it suddenly gets that burn going and it lights up the sky and you just watch it get higher and higher and higher. It was just beautiful. It really brought tears to my eyes.

There were some "guests" of one of the astronauts sitting right behind us. I think they must have been family, because they were calling out his name and saying "see you in two weeks!" I can't even imagine watching someone you know being shot up into the air like that, knowing they are going somewhere you will probably never go. I would be a nervous wreck! Anyhow, it is just amazing to think about all the incredible minds that work together to get the shuttle up into the air. It is just amazing.................

There are only 4 more launches scheduled until the shuttles are retired. I would highly recommend making the effort to go see one if you can!

2 comments:

Dan and Katie said...

so cool! what a fun experience for your kids!...and you!

Martie said...

Becky,

May I get your mailing address please?

Margaret