Sam wanted a firetruck birthday cake. This was a really hard cake to decorate for a couple of reasons. First, the 3D design itself was interesting to put together. Second, I can never figure out how to frost a cake without getting crumbs in the frosting. So after much internet reading on the subject, I decided to give it a try with the wonderful red frosting! I did a "crumb" layer of frosting first, then followed it with another layer which I spent lots of time smoothing out. It was all very time consuming, but enjoyable. I enjoy having a creative outlet for myself, just wish it didn't involve eating all of the crumbs and extra pieces/frosting!
It was fun thinking back on Sam being born. We were living in Biloxi, and Keyan was actually out here in Florida doing some residency training. So, he got the call about 9:00 p.m. to get home because Sam was on his way. He left about 10:45 p.m. and drove the fastest he possibly ever has in our old Honda, and made it back to Biloxi at about 1:00 a.m. in the morning. Sam was born 1 hour later. It seems like Sam has been with us for so long because we've gone through so many "stages" with him. I actually think he should be older than 5! Anyhow, here's to the next 5 years!
1 comment:
Great cake, Becky! I am finally catching up on your blog. Didn't Mom teach you the freeze the cake before you frost it trick?
Post a Comment