Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Eve and Day

This Christmas Eve day the kids and Keyan made fresh gnocchis, which has become a tradition at our house at Christmastime. This is from Keyan's Italian side of the family and the kids love helping to make the dough and form them into the gnocchi shape. They are super yummy with Keyan's great marinara sauce on top!



Since moving to Niceville, we have always had visits from Santa and Mrs. Claus on Christmas Eve. We look forward to their visit every year and to see what kind of car they will be driving. Every year they have a new car they're trying out while the reindeer are resting up!



Santa brought Mara 2 gerbils, now named Cinnamon and Ginger. This was really Bubba's present, too - he was so excited to see these little things that he was shaking. We know he was licking his lips and just wishing they would get out of the cage!



Ben on his scooter. Everyone got one in a quest to add more exercise to our family activities!



Elyse knew exactly what to do with her new baby doll and baby equipment she got. It's amazing how her motherly instincts have kicked in at such an early age!




Sam rides this scooter really well and can keep up with the older two just fine!







I have to say that I have really enjoyed the day after Christmas so much better than Christmas Day. We have gone nowhere and had time to just hang out and play games, go for bikerides, play music, etc. It seems like Christmas Day and all the anticipation really takes it's toll on everyone, especially the females in our family! Christmas Eve Day and Christmas Day, which are supposed to be the happiest days of the year, brought tears, sadness, jealousy, fighting, etc.........all the emotions and behaviors that I think should not be present on these special days. So....it causes me to wonder if we've created this and done it all wrong. How can a genuine desire to give our children good gifts backfire on us? I don't think we spoil our children (especially since we wouldn't buy them Nintendo DS's for Christmas!), but somewhere along the way a feeling of entitlement has developed. Teaching our children about gratitude and the scriptural/spiritual reasons for Christmas just doesn't seem to be sinking in. Keyan says we need to move to a Third World country.........I think he may be right.







3 comments:

jksfam said...

You can't move! We're coming to Maxwell this summer. We'll definitely have to visit!!! I understand what you mean, though. I'm sure you're teaching them what you're supposed to - they're just kids and trying to learn it, too. It's a hard lesson sometimes - to give and learn!

Clarissa Grover said...

Ha ha ha... entitlement? It's called birthright. Oh wait. That's not what Heavenly Father meant either, huh? Good to hear the most celestial parents I know are still waiting for their almost celestial kids to grasp those eternal concepts, too.

Dan and Katie said...

Hi guys!!! We got your Christmas Card when we got back from Rexburg, looks like you had a great Christmas! Thanks for including us on the card list...we promise to send you one when we start the whole Christmas card thing...maybe next year :) Our blog is dkricks.blogspot. This is a fun way to keep in touch, I am glad I finally started a blog!