Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Musical Month

January and February have been very musical months for Mara.  In January she traveled down to Tampa to participate in All State Chorus, which she had to audition for.  The first of February she had All-County Band, which she also had to audition for and was selected to be the First Chair Flute (see if you can find her in the picture below with that information:) 


Then there was Solo & Ensemble for choir, which Mara sang "Shenandoah" for.  I was playing the piano for her, so I wasn't able to really watch Mara or the judge, but when I finished playing Mara's chorus teacher leaned over and told me that the judge was crying.  Oh....they were good tears.  Can I tell you how nice it is to have your child share something that you already know is beautiful?   I have had the privilege of listening to Mara sing for the last few years in our home and I have been amazed at her voice.  She doesn't really share it much, though.........so to watch her open up and let that voice be heard and to see the effect it has on other people is very special to me.  Anyhow, I'll provide a link of her singing it



Saturday she had Solo & Ensemble for Band, of which she was involved in 4 different songs.  Sunday she had festival for violin and played 2 songs.  And she received SUPERIOR ratings on all her performances.  What a week.........you'd think everyone could plan things a little better.  But maybe they weren't anticipating that students like Mara would be in all 3 events!  We are very PROUD (are you allowed to be?) of all the hard work she has done.....we are very excited to see what other musical things she will be involved in in the future.  I think music is going to be a part of the rest of her life....like mother like daughter!

2 comments:

jksfam said...

That's awesome! She sounded beautiful!

Allison said...

Well done, Mara - I watched the video and you sounded amazing!