Monday, July 4, 2011

Violin Camp

So, now that we have a teenager in the house, guess what we do with her?  We send her away! 
Well...just for a couple of weeks.  Mara is going to a string orchestra camp over at FSU.  This is a pretty big deal for our little girl...she is on her own at a place where she knows no one and she has to play violin at least 6 hours a day!  This has given us a glimpse into what it will be like when she goes off to college in 5 years.  It was really hard to leave her that first day because she was very nervous about not knowing anyone and just didn't quite know how to go integrate herself into the dining hall situation.  She would rather not eat than have to go sit by someone she didn't know.....I can completely understand that one.  I am not very good at making conversation with strangers (or even non-strangers for that matter), and would actually feel more comfortable being by myself.  But, alas...I knew that she needed to get in there with everyone else or the rest of the time at camp would be painful.  I had to coach her on what to do...and then turn around and leave her to do it.  That was hard, but I am happy to report that she did go sit by someone and she has made a couple of friends now.  She still calls me every day and asks me if I'll come back.  If nothing else, I have learned that my daughter really does miss me....and she really does still need me every now and then!  I am also very thankful for text messages which give me instant access to her!  How quickly those next 5 years will go by....and oh, how much we still have to teach her!

No comments: