Wednesday, February 2, 2011

pinewood derby and all county band

It was Pinewood Derby time at our house again......we have fun making cars, but we definitely have not studied designs for fast cars......Ben made a bus (go figure), but it was not very aerodynamic.

Sam got into the action with a truck design...he won in his category (brothers).

As you can tell, Elyse was in the girl sister division, and there were some pretty pink cars!  Her car is the one that is winning.


The boys were not happy that we had to leave the Pinewood Derby early to go to Mara's All-County Band Concert....they survived, though.  We were proud of Mara for getting selected to be 1st chair flute....and she doesn't even take private flute lessons!  Mara told me there was one song they were going to play that I was going to love, but she wouldn't tell me what it was.  So, as they started "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing," I knew this was what she was talking about.  Yes, it brought tears to my eyes as did lots of other songs played.  I just really love music and I guess I get things out of music that other people don't.  I guess I understand the time and dedication involved in being able to play music well.......and when that point is reached where it is played well then something magical transpires between musician and listener (if that listener is in tune).  There are great parallels between music and listening to the Spirit.....some people get it, some don't.

Yes, we are proud of Mara.   I know how much joy has come into my life from music and I'm super excited that she'll get to experience the same thing in her life. 

1 comment:

jksfam said...

Congrats to Mara!!! Did she practice the song at home? Pinewood derby = not my favorite thing...