Friday, March 26, 2010
going to talk with a principal
Well, today I had my first experience in going to talk to a principal about an inappropriate book that is in the middle school library. Mara came home with a book a couple of weeks ago that she was reading for AR, one that she had checked out of the library. Keyan took a look at the book and then proceeded to take the book away from Mara....he let me look at it and the first page I turned to was describing in great detail a sexual encounter between this girl and guy. Further browsing through the book reveals that this book is full of sexual descriptions.......not something for an 11 year old to be reading. In fact, I wouldn't even read a book like that.......I would call it pornography in the form of a book. We were pretty incensed about the whole thing, wrote a letter and received no reply. So today I took the book up to the school and talked to the principal. She was very supportive.....said she would read it and remove it from their shelves....young girls don't need to be reading stuff like that.........they are being bombarded with sexual information on every front. Anyhow, it gave us a great opportunity to talk to Mara about reading books and closing it when it contains things like that........but it also made me realize that I can no longer sit back and hope that "the world" and it's values are not going to effect my family. They are.......I must educate my kids on the things to watch out for before they are faced with that decision. I just didn't think I would have to do it at such a young age.........
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh yikes, Becky! I am glad to hear that your principal was so supportive. I've heard horror stories from other parents about the clash of moral standards with their respective school districts, and it wasn't pretty. Mara is lucky to have you and Keyan as parents. I keep praying for the second coming... soon!
Post a Comment