
Mara has always had an interest in horses, but it has been limited to a couple of rides on her cousins' horse and to games on the computer. Since there is a stable almost in our backyard, we decided to let her go to "horse camp" as a birthday present. So, she has spent the last week learning the proper way to ride and how to groom and care for her horse. She has loved it. I went and watched her ride today and I didn't realize there was so much technique and work involved in riding. I can now see why she has been so tired when she has come home each day and why she has had a handful of sore muscles and sore spots each day! Hopefully this will give her the confidence around horses so when we go visit the cousins, she can keep up with them. I used to ride horses when we'd go visit my grandparents in the summer, and I used to think I was pretty good at riding a horse. When I got older and rode again, I was humbled many times, to the point of actually being a bit fearful when I get on one. I have already broken the number one rule of horse riding "never let them know you're afraid." So, I haven't done very well in following in my horse riding rodeo queen mother's footsteps (or should I say saddle? stirrups?). Maybe Mara will get our family back on track.........
No comments:
Post a Comment