Friday, April 24, 2009

Seeking advice from "seasoned" mothers!

Alright, so this a call for help from all you "seasoned" mothers. How do you organize your afterschool time so that everything gets done - and not just what you have to do, but all the things your kids have to do? When do they do homework? When do they have free time? When do they practice their instruments? When do you make them go outside to get some exercise? How do you get them to exercise? When do they eat dinner if they have to be at softball practice at 5:00? When do they do their "chores?" And how do you do all this when your husband is gone? How can you be 5 places at once, helping all these kids who seem to be incapable of doing anything on their own?

It seems like I can talk and direct until I'm blue in the face and the kids just sit there - and they are a magnet to the computer. No matter how many times I've told them that their computer time is up, they still always gravitate back to the it. I really wonder if I just need to put locks on everything!

So, if you've gone through all this before and have any wisdom to impart, I am all for it. I just can't seem to be able to make after school snacks, cook dinner, read to Sam, pay attention to Sam, pay attention to Elyse, help Mara with violin, help Ben with piano, remind them to do their homework, help them with homework, get to practices or activity days at church, get them to do their jobs, get them to eat healthy, etc..... and try to have a peaceful, loving, fun gospel centered home on top of it all? It's not happening - this single mom thing, and even just this mom thing is really hard. There is so much I am responsible for.....and one of them is trying to get my kids to be responsible which is no easy matter.

I picture an orderly home where the kids march from one "station" to another cheerfully, getting everything done (just like in the "Sound of Music." That's it, I need a whistle)! It seems to be possible at school, is it possible at home?

I'm all ears..............

7 comments:

Dan and Katie said...

I have absolutely no clue! My mom actually just wanted to make sure that you knew that Keith (Brooke's husband) is getting baptizes! On mother's day!

Martie said...

Becky,

Come to my blog and type "homework" into the search box. I wrote a long one last year about how we do things.

Hope that's a little help!

Andy, Lori and the Gang said...

Read Parenting With Love and Logic. You need to give up control of a few things and give them to your kids. And then let them figure it out and learn from the consequences. Not that I am any good at this:) But I sure do love the book.

Andy, Lori and the Gang said...

Oh, and then call your sister and tell her to get down to Florida and help you out! When are you going to Colorado? It is looking like we are going to be there for almost all of July.

Walker-Party of 5 said...

Sometimes (most times) it doesn't all get done & life goes on! Just don't feel guilty about it & do your best. Can you tell I'm not a type "A" personality?

Walker-Party of 5 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Riley's said...

i have the best wife in the world kdr