We had out of town guests this year for the parade, Trevor and Sydney Anderson.
Because Mara is in band, Ben was able to be a part of the pit as an 8th grader. This only confirmed his desire to play the drums....a decision he has been struggling with ever since he was in band in 6th grade. Do I switch to percussion (which is always the most popular section in middle school), or stay on French Horn where I am a solid player? This decision will have to be made again when he goes to high school next year......
This is Mara's final performance with marching band in high school. I always wonder if sending her to Pine Creek where the band program wasn't the strongest was the right decision. She had a great director, maybe not the hardest musically, but she was a great person determined to make great people out of her students. She had a great flute section, with the playing level pretty even to keep them all improving. She had some great friends. So....is it all about winning competitions and going on amazing trips to Europe? I'm sure those programs have their benefits also, so it's hard to know what is the right one for your child. Mara bloomed where she was planted and raised the bar musically amongst her peers in many ways.


No comments:
Post a Comment