Sunday, March 6, 2011

Happy Birthday, Sam!

Sam has gone and done the unthinkable.....he asked for an ice cream cake for his birthday instead of regular cake, which means I didn't make it!  Can you believe it?  Oh well, I guess it was bound to happen one of these birthdays!  Sam had a low key birthday.....he had to go to school, so I took him some lunch from Wendy's.  Funny thing- he was still hungry after eating the kid's meals so we ended up buying a lunch at the school, too!  Saturday he invited a few friends to go see a movie and then to come home for pizza and ice cream cake.  It was an easy party...next time I think I'll just let the kids come to the house and play.  We can skip the movie. 




Friends: Todd, Eli, and Ryan

We had a hard time deciding what to get Sam for his birthday because he's just not a toy kind of boy.   He never plays with them.......but he loves his stuffed animals and does a great job taking care of Bubba.  So, we thought, maybe he would like a cat to nurture (and hopefully bring out some more loving qualities in him).  We let Sam pick out the cat (with strong opinions from Dad), and they brought Cami home.  She is 1 years old and the family she had been living with needed to get rid of her because of health issues.  We had to think through how we were going to bring a cat into the house since we already have our dog, Bubba.  We have gated off a room that we let Cami hang out in, to hopefully give her a place to retreat to if she needs to.  She has shown a preference for adults.......Sam and Ben have gotten bit and swiped at......but they go after her and try to get her out of her hiding places.  This will be a good lesson for them in animal behavior!  I hope that Cami will eventually warm up to the kids, especially Sam, since this cat was for him.  Tonight we let Cami and Bubba get a peek at each other through the gate and they were both very interested in establishing their space.  This may take a little bit of time.........


 We now have 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 gerbil, and 5 fish.........what next?

1 comment:

Nick Riley said...

What a fun family. Julie wants to get some pets, but I cannot commit to anything.

I really liked the groundhog day cake...not enough people are celebrating like they should. Bill Murray must be crying inside.

I am a kind of worried for the days when my house is turned into a fairy land, but I have time to prepare.

Keep up the great work.

the beach looked pretty warm in your pics.